
I have a lot of acquaintances, and very few friends.
I can usually recognize a kindred spirit, and with those individuals, I instantly connect. On the other hand, I can also usually sense when I am being judged or graded by someone upon first introduction and with those people, I am uncomfortable and unnatural whenever I am in their presence, and those feelings never go away.
I felt that way when I first met my husband-instant connection, I looked at him, walked over and spilled my guts.
I felt the opposite way upon meeting most of his family members...
Another instant connection to Jill, who defines the phrase "forever friend". I was on my first day on the job as a preschool teacher, and I was monitoring the playground. The staff at the school was unwelcoming, the director was cold and the parents were demanding... I had not had the best first day. I was wondering what I had gotten myself into, and if I could just scale the chain-link fence, army crawl over to my car and take off, never to come back.
As I was planning my escape, over walks this little, tiny thing with a giant smile on her face. "Hi, I'm Jill, everyone here is crazy, so if you ever want to talk to someone sane, I'm in Preschool Room Two." She laughed ( a little maniacally), gave me a little wave and walked off. We have been close friends ever since.
When we moved up to MA, I had to leave behind the few friends that had made it into the "inner circle of trust", and I was very, very sad (I would use the "D" word to describe my feelings, but we are in the middle of an adoption process :)). We moved up here in September, right as it was starting to get frigid, and it took me a long time to meet anyone that a) wanted to be my friend and b) wasn't really, REALLY strange.
But I had no choice, I had a daughter that needed interaction, and story time and play dates and swimming lessons... so I kept on leaving the house, every day. I learned to navigate my way through not only Boston, but Providence and Worcester. I learned where to park, where to eat and how to avoid rush hour on I-90 (you can't avoid it). I learned what beaches never have parking and which ones had clean restrooms, and along the way I began to gather friends. Women that accept my daughter and I for all our quirks. Women that laugh at my dumb, dumb jokes and make me really gut laugh in return. Women that hug me when I feel like crying. I am so very thankful for each of them.
Moving on...
FaerieMama tagged me (my very first tag, thanks!) last week and I thought I would give it a go.
Here are the rules:
1. Link to the person who tagged you and post the rules.
2. Share seven random or weird facts about yourself.
3. Tag 7 random people at the end of your post with their links.
4. Let each person know they've been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.
Here we go...
1. I am a terrible, terrible cook. My husband cannot STAND my cooking, as a matter of fact, so he does most of it.
2. All through my childhood (and still occasionally) I will bite and chew my clothing when angry. I don't know why, but it is very soothing to me and I have to consciously stop myself now.
3. My first words to my husband were a slurred, "I'm wearing a girdle....hehe" at a Christmas Party in December 1998. And he still married me, although it did take almost 4 more years to get him down the aisle.
4. I became a nurse because I am a hypochondriac. (Little tip to all the hypochondriacs out there- W*bMD is NOT your friend).
5. I was once on a plane with Huey Lewis. I am not sure if "& The News" was also on the plane because I wouldn't be able to recognize any of them if they were bludgeoning me to death with their records. Huey was very thin, FYI
6. I was mugged in my twenties and ever since then, I cannot stand people walking behind me.
7. I am 50% Puerto Rican, and the only outward sign of this is my incredible amount of body hair. Nair is my friend.
I am now going to tag my lovely friend Lydia !
If anyone made it through this LOOOONG post, Thank you!
4 comments:
I read all the way to the end!! What in the world is the "D" word? Devastated? Damn? Dootie?
I am with you on WebMD. According to that, I have every kind of cancer out there...
Can I add that you love your crazy ass friends with out judgment. I love you!
Kisses,
L
Where R you??? Post again! I miss reading you!
Please write again! You are missed!!
Post a Comment