Thursday, November 6, 2008

Strep Throat



My daughter has it :(.  

I knew something was wrong last night, when she woke up at midnight, calling for me.  When I went to pick her up, I could feel the heat coming off of her little body in waves.  I brought her into my bed, gave her a dose of Motrin and laid awake, waiting it out.  The fever broke, but, after a few hours, we were both still awake and she was starting to get warm again, so I gave her a dose of Tylenol this time (a little trick I learned from my pediatrician, stagger the doses of Motrin/Tylenol two hours apart, very effective at keeping pain and fevers down, without a fear of overdose), and brought her downstairs for a cartoon marathon, waiting out the hours until I could call her pediatrician.

On a side note, WHAT IS UP with that show Yo Gabba Gabba?!!?  I mean really...  I didn't think anyone could out-weird the shows of the late seventies/early eighties that I grew up on... but I was wrong. Very, very wrong.  

Anyway, I assumed it was a virus, and that they were going to send us on our way, but the Rapid Strep Test came back positive immediately.  So my daughter is quarantined for the next 24 hours, while she is contagious and we are having a quiet day at home.... hopefully.

2 comments:

Monica said...

What is with that rockin' picture? Is there some connection to strep throat that I'm not seeing? Dude, that picture is funny.

JenMac said...

That picture, my friend, is DJ Lance of Yo Gabba Gabba.. part Richard Simmons, part acid trip, I allowed my daughter to watch him yesterday while she was home sick with strep. I still haven't forgiven myself