
Lately, a few of my friends online and and in person, have been posting FANTASTIC pictures of themselves from the past, so when I came across this little gem, I knew I had to scan it and share it with the world (or at least my four readers). I wanted to go through some old photos of my family anyway, because I am hoping to eventually put them in chronological order and scrapbook them (another thing that I love, but don't do very well) .
I am always suprised when I look at pictures and I see how much M and I look alike, especially when I was younger. I look at her now and I see her dad's eyes and coloring, and she is so much like my husband in manner and thought that I rarely see a resemblance between her and I.
And then I saw this. I think it was 6th grade, because I got (the much needed) braces at the end of 7th grade. Notice the "hockey cut"-what you don't see is the 2 foot long rat tail I had in the back. Also note the dark tan. My mother, similar to most mothers in the eighties, believed a deep, copper color was a sign of health, not impending cancer.
I actually remember that day, over twenty years ago. The dress I was wearing also had a white bow at the neck, similar to a bow tie. I removed it because I thought it wasn't cool...the polyester poofed sleeves and geometric print were apparently OK, though.
When I look at this picture, I feel the rush of insecurity that was with me constantly at that age. I knew I was goofy looking, what I didn't realize was everyone was goofy looking and that this, too, would pass. I didn't understand why I couldn't be tall, with long, straight blonde hair and why my teeth didn't point in the same direction.
My mother is a 5' tall Puerto Rican, with the same teeth, skin color and hair-that's why.
Now, when I look at my little lovely, I know there will come a day when she will feel goofy and different, and she will wonder why her teeth look like a ten car pile-up. And on that day, I will give her a big hug, and tell her that her INSIDE is beautiful, and always has been and that is what will carry her through life.
I will also invest in a good orthodontist.
Ahhh.....memories.
2 comments:
Jen , you were ADORABLE! I can't believe you think that photo is goofy! ( well, ok, the dress is very 80s, but OF COURSE it is...it was the 80s!) But your face is darling and sweet and you cn tell you are going to grow up and be a knock-out. Anyway...thought you should know that to the rest of the world, you look darling!
That is so funny. Funny because it is like we were twins!! Though I didn't have a rattail, my mom was BIG into feathering my hair. And wearing polka dots.
Post a Comment